Ponds Forge International Sports Centre first opened in 1991 for the World Student Games and since then has remained a world class venue for swimming, diving and many other sporting events. In 2007 the Fitness Unlimited gym underwent a £3 million refurbishment, housing the latest Technogym. Ponds Forge is now a distinguished sport and leisure complex which covers 6.7 acres, as well as a reputable health and fitness centre for the community of Sheffield.
Ponds forge is part of the Sheffield International Venues (SIV) portfolio, which includes Don Valley Stadium, Hillsborough Leisure Centre, Concord Sports Centre, Sheffield City Hall, iceSheffield, the English Institute of Sport (EIS), 4 golf courses, Graves Tennis & Leisure Centre, Heeley pool, Springs Leisure Centre and Stocksbridge Leisure Centre. Sheffield International Venues Ltd is the operating company of Sheffield City Trust and receives some funding from the council.
Ponds Forge aims to provide excellent facilities for all its customers’ needs. Our company mission statement is ‘Excellence for All in Sport Leisure and Entertainment’.
A world class venue at the heart of the community, Ponds Forge has fantastic facilities for sport, leisure and entertainment. Located in Sheffield City Centre, Ponds Forge attracts more than 1.3 million visitors a year, with an Olympic sized swimming pool, the deepest diving pool in the UK with seating for 2,600 spectators and the International Sports Hall, which is the largest and most flexible events space in the whole of Sheffield.
The facilities include:
- 50 Metre competition pool.
- 25 Metre diving pool.
- Leisure pool with a lazy river, 2 flumes, baby fun area and wave machine.
- 130 piece Fitness Unlimited gym.
- 3 Fully equipped fitness studios.
- Steam room and spa.
- Trampoline atrium.
- foodetc. Café with a full range of meal and drink options.
- International Sports Hall (10 courts).
- Skyline Suite & VIP Bar – Large conferencing space.
- 3 Meeting Rooms.
Venue of Excellence:
Ponds Forge offers a wide range of activities for all participants; these can range from young children right through to elite athletes.
- High profile athletes who use Ponds Forge as a training base include divers Nick Robinson-Baker, Megan Sylvester and Monique Gladding and swimmers James Kirton, Rebecca Turner
and James Crisp and Ellie Faulkner, many of whom are members of team GB.
- At the recent British Championships at the Aquatics Centre in London, two Ponds Forge-based swimmers qualified for London 2012 and one swimmer for the Paralympics. The event also saw 12
Yorkshire records broken and 47 personal bests achieved from 64 swims
- Named an official Olympic and Paralympics training ground in 2008 by LOCOG (London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games)
- Used as an Olympic training base for Olympic teams from all over the world, notably the US diving team and the Canadian synchronised swimming team.
Similarly, Ponds Forge has featured on television locally, nationally and internationally including ITV’s Biggest Loser, Sainsbury’s UK School Games on Channel 4, Sky One’s Got to Dance and
Underwater Hockey featured on ITV. This shows the sheer excellence and first class service that is available from Sheffield International Venues.
Buy your lifeCARD nowExclusive Sheffield lifeCARD Offers
Buy One Get One Free Badminton/Table Tennis/Short Tennis/Squash/Racketball
SAVE 10% with Physio 1st
Up to 20% Off at J.E. James Cycles
Free Trampolining Session
Discounted Servicing and MOT’s
10% Discount at Helios Clinic
10% Off Q-Park - Now includes parking in London, Leeds, York and Sheffield
20% off at Frankie & Benny’s
Half Price Tennis
Bring a Friend for Free Step
Free PreSchool Gymnastics
FREE Try Athletics Session
20% Food & Beverage discount at the Copthorne Hotel
20% Off Speedo (Ponds Forge Retail Outlet)